Saturday, June 20, 2009

Superheroes

girl: When I grow up I'm going to marry you.
boy: But I'm a superhero.


I try to remember what perceptions I had of myself when I was little. Not quite superhero, but definitely indestructible. Climbing up the very tree that threw me out of its arms the day before; racing around the bend of the street that tripped my bike just an hour ago; fighting back with my sister. What possesses children to be so brave? Their fleeting memory, perhaps? Or their natural resilience to injury and pain? Whatever it be, it is something to admire.


In this case, I admire the courage it takes the boy to not only see himself as a superhero, but to say it out loud to his peers with assurance and conviction. It is a bold statement indeed to call yourself a hero, deem yourself super, and willingly sacrifice friendship and love. I suppose superheroes bear a burden of responsibility that we cannot fully understand, forcing them to sacrifice the pleasures of love for their calling. And to realize this at such a young age. Boy, you are remarkable, and quickly becoming my favorite superhero.

I cannot forget the girl, though, who deserves applause for her bravery as well. She is honest with her feelings, and courageously declares them to the world. If only I could relate. There have been so many times when I wished for half of this girl's courage, to say exactly what I was feeling. However, to my own shame, if I had to compare the times when I desperately wished for courage to be mean or vengeful as opposed to the times when I wanted to be encouraging or loving... the latter
does not even begin to tip the scale. So I admire you too, girl, for being loving, honest, and brave. Go find that boy and tell him that you are a superhero, too, and be happily married.





'boy' had this conversation when he was in preschool, according to mom.
H
e is currently finishing up 1st grade with flying colors.
He has the heart of his teacher, Ms. Park, in the palm of his hands
and his affections for her are the same.

He always tells her to have a good lunch and he cries when she is absent.

'girl' was 'boy's preschool classmate.
Though Ms. Park does not know her, she has no doubt this girl is still
as brave and honest today as she was in preschool.

2 comments: