Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Keep Calm, Balance On


There are "a few and twenty" things on my plate this year. All great things. Huge blessings, both in disguise and in plain view. But it's funny how we can cloud our blessings by covering them with our own anxieties, insecurities, and inept-ness. A good thing does not remain so for long in the mind of a crazy person. Or anyone. Or everyone. What's crazier is that I have spread these things out onto many plates and am trying to balance them all on those spinning poles. Like those people from the circus. Only I have no training and my plates are actually post-its.

At first, it might seem like having good balance is about multi-tasking and inner peace. Maintaining a routine, keeping to the schedule, and finding a time and place for everything from homework to relaxing... is all it takes. All the plates have a specific position. Find those positions and all should be fine.


Show off.

But the more I consider this and the more I find on my plate, I get the feeling that good balance has nothing to do with agility or skill. Or, in my case, the frantic routine of Checklist, Cross Off, Repeat. Good balance is having core strength and a strong foundation. The acrobat plants his feet and tightens his stomach. The fulcrum always brings the scale back zero. And the Earth spins and orbits but the axis is unchanging.

There is something in every person's core that either strengthens or weakens her. In the same way, there is something in my foundation that either steadies me or trips me. The key to having good balance, then, is to find what steadies, what calms and what grounds. Furthermore, the key to maintaining good balance is to hold tight to those things. Whether it be people or places, emotions or edibles, to any and all of these things I owe a great debt, sincerest thanks, and all of my love.

No comments:

Post a Comment