Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Coffee to start the day


I need to remember this day I had. This morning I had, rather. I wake up feeling the refreshment of slumber, chipper from eight hours of rest, and am practically whistling zip-a-dee-doo-da as I head out the door. I almost burst into song at au bon pain when I am interrupted by the cashier. I reach out to pay and my arm knocks over a lady's cup of coffee. Coffee is now all over my pants, my boots, and in my socks.

I am incredibly annoyed, almost upset. My boots... and my socks... and lady, why would you leave your cup of coffee uncovered in a place that is so cramped and crowded?

Then I think, Oh well at least coffee is brown and my boots are brown. And my socks are black. Phew.

I get a look at the lady who used to have a cup of coffee. She doesn't look pissed off but... she looks like 8pm after a really long day. But it is 8am and I suddenly feel horrible. I mutter 'sorry' through my scarf and she softly says 'It's ok.' She does not make eye contact with me. As the cashier gives me my change, I turn to offer the lady another cup of coffee but she is gone.

It is a horrible, heavy feeling, to think you've just ruined someone's day. Especially when it was ultimately for no other reason than the fact that you are selfish. I could've said sorry right away, and offered her another cup of coffee right away, and potentially cheered her up from a huge act of clumsiness through a small act of kindness.. right away. But instead, I grumbled.

Looking back it is so plain that this morning was a wasted chance to be a faithful witness to Him. I was so challenged to consider just how many chances He gives me each day to be the salt and light of the earth... and how much patience it takes for Him to wait on me day in and day out. Because as opposed to being salty and full of light, I prove to be... peppery. And dark.

In school, when I have to remind my student for the third or fourth time "We do not run in the classroom"... it is really never in a patient tone of voice.


On that note, God has never sent me to my cubby.
And I do not deserve His grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment