Thursday, March 11, 2010

Love At First Grade


Dear E,

I am so sorry. I wonder if we could be in love. If you said yes, then we need a plan. If not, we are lost.

J

As I sifted through student writing I came across this letter. We are writing persuasive letters. Started on Monday. Students are attempting to understand the structure of letters. Yes, the line at the top is for the date. If the comma is at the end of the line, then the paper is right side up. And don't forget the punctuation. It's like your underwear; always necessary.

My first thought was about E. I don't know who E is, but she is one lucky little girl. How many boys will consider themselves lost without you? And he is already planning for the future, so you know he is in it for the long haul. This little man is clearly not playing games; he means business.

J is one of those rare kids that is just plain honest. That is the most important thing I have learned about him so far, and the thing I most love about him. He is honest about everything. Is mom picking you up after school today? I hope so. What's wrong, J? I am in love! Everything is wrong. Did you do your homework? I forgot. And I didn't want to. How did he come to be so honest? And can this honesty be taught to others, or have we no choice but to admire and attempt to imitate? Wish it could be captured somehow and passed around the classroom.



J is fluent in Spanish, falls deep into the stories and illustrations of his books, and often talks to himself throughout the day. No doubt he is composing sweet sonnets for his beloved E. He laughs at all of my jokes, always tells me what he ate for dinner the night before, and I predict that he will be a brilliant writer when he grows up.





Mail picture by Smithsonian Institution.
Letter picture by topsy cretts.

3 comments:

  1. if only all boys were that honest! lucky girl, E is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds alot like B, except he hasn't been struggling to master "the game", yet. don't worry J, all of that will dissipate once girls start eating you alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i loved this entry, thanks minnie :)

    ReplyDelete