Sunday, March 7, 2010

Pears of Wisdom


me: Bye Appa, I'll call you when I land.

Appa: Ok, geureh. Have a good flight.
And next time you come, don't wear clothes with holes in them.

... Really? Those are your parting words? I've worn these jeans for the past five days without a word but now, in the crowded security check line, a few seconds before we both leave this airport, is the best time to address the wear and tear of my jeans?

This is why my father is so wise. Yes, now is the perfect time to remind you that it would be wise to think about your appearance every now and then. Because while what matters most is the 'stuff' inside your heart, the decisions you make in accordance to that 'stuff' represent who you are. I could have brought this up at dinner four days ago, but now you will remember me clearly. It is a good idea to care.

Those jeans are distressed. Are you in distress?
Do you feel worn out in some places?
Not really?
Then why do you dress like a beggar?

That last comment is always said with a chuckle and an endearing I-don't-understand-you-girls smile. I heard it often back in the JNCO days, when my sister and I were accused of being street cleaners due to the excessive length of our pantalons. He often referred to pants and jeans as pantalons. Pronounced bbang-dda-longs.

Perhaps it was his sublty. Or his off-beat timing. Whatever it was, it struck me in the heart in a way that made me smile the whole 6 hours home and love my dad even more than I already did.

There is something in the gospel of Matthew about a tree. A tree is recognized by its fruits. Good trees bear good fruit and bad trees bear dragonfruit. (Ok it doesn't really say that but have you ever tasted one? Seriously. Fruit of the armpit.) Had my dad intended to remind me of this lesson? Or does he truly not understand why I choose to dress 'like a beggar' ? It's not a perfect metaphor, jeans as fruit. But it was as good a time as any to remember to live like the good man, who brings good things out of the good stored up in him... and, who knows, probably wears jeans without any holes in them.




There are a few more Appa-isms that have stuck with me:

Always hold your breath when taking a picture. It keeps the camera steady.

You can never have too many books.

Everyone should have and use a shoehorn.


No comments:

Post a Comment